So... for the past couple of days I've had a headache. It's not a headache that hurts so bad that I can't do anything. It's more of a headache that just makes me uncomfortable. You know... just enough to annoy me.
I decided to look up headaches on WebMD. There's lots of interesting articles on there as well. I came across a slide show with "Surprising Headache Triggers", so I thought I would share. Jack and John are also taking a nap, so I am a little bored.
Surprising Headache Triggers(adapted from WebMD)
Headache Trigger #1: Your Boss
Anything that boosts your stress level can make you more vulnerable to tension headaches or migraines. Tension headaches are thought to be caused by a heightened sensitivity of nerve pathways in the brain that relay pain.
I'm pretty sure this isn't the reason for my headache. I haven't even seen my boss for months! But wait a minute... am I stressed about anything else? Not really.
Headache Trigger #2: Warm Weather
When the temperature climbs, so does the likelihood of developing a migraine or other severe headache. In one recent study, researchers found a 7.5% increase in headache risk for every 9 degrees Fahrenheit. Low barometric pressure, which often precedes rain, was linked to a small bump in non-migraine headaches.
Well... let's see... I live in
Headache Trigger#3: Strong Scents
Strong smells -- even nice ones -- trigger migraines in many people. The most common culprits are paint, dust, perfume, and certain types of flowers.
I haven't been around any strong scents such as the ones listed above. I believe I can rule this one out.
Headache Trigger#4: Hair Accessories
How you wear your hair can take a toll on your head. A tight ponytail may strain the connective tissue in the scalp, leading to a hairdo headache. Headbands, braids, and tight-fitting hats can create the same effect. If this is the cause of your headache, letting your hair down usually brings fast relief.
I am a ponytail girl! I also like headbands. Let me go ahead and take my hair down now and see if I have this "fast relief"... Nope... pain is still there. Moving on!
Headache Trigger#5: Exercise
Strenuous exercise can lead to exertion headaches. Physical exertion causes blood vessels in the head, neck, and scalp to swell, producing a build-up in pressure. Examples include jogger’s headache.
Hmmm... well since I've had the headache, I haven't worked out. So I can mark this one out.
Headache Trigger#6: Poor Posture
You don’t have to work up a sweat to build pressure in the head and neck muscles. Slouching at your desk will do the job, too. Common forms of poor posture include hunching your shoulders, using a chair with no lower-back support, staring at a monitor that is too low or too high, and cradling a phone between your ear and shoulder. If you have frequent tension headaches, take a good look at your workspace.
While I am not working right now... I do have horrible posture. I hunch my shoulders and I have been holding the phone between my ear and shoulder when holding Jack. But would a headache caused by this last as long as mine has?
Headache Trigger#7: Cheese
One of the most common migraine triggers is aged cheese, including blue cheese, brie, cheddar, feta, mozzarella, parmesan, and Swiss. The culprit is a substance called tyramine, which forms when certain types of protein break down. The longer a food ages, the more tyramine it contains.
NOOOOO... I LOVE cheese! I did have blue cheese on a salad the other day and I LOVE cheddar cheese.
Headache Trigger #8: Red Wine
Tyramine is also found in red wine and some liquors. Because alcohol increases blood flow to the brain, the effects may be even more intense.
This is not it because I have not had any red wine.
Headache Trigger #9: Cold Cuts
Processed meats, such as cold cuts, have two strikes against them. They often contain tyramine, as well as food additives called nitrates or nitrites. These additives appear to increase blood flow to the brain in some people.
This is something I could consider... our lunch meat!
Headache Trigger #10: Skipping Meals
Hunger headaches aren’t always obvious. If you skip a meal, your head could start to ache before you realize you’re hungry. The trouble is a dip in blood sugar.
Negative! This girl likes to eat!
Headache Trigger #11: Smoking
Smoking is known to trigger headaches -- and not just in the person holding the cigarette. Secondhand smoke contains nicotine, which causes blood vessels in the brain to narrow.
I don't smoke and I haven't been around anyone smoking.
Headache Trigger #12: Caffeine
For the headache-prone, caffeine fits firmly into the category of “can’t live with it, can’t live without it.” In moderation, caffeine is often beneficial -- in fact, it’s found in many headache medications.
Well... I gave up caffeine a year and half ago. I had my first cup of coffee about a week ago when we were in Kansas . I have had 2 cups of coffee since then. So a total of 3 cups on three different days. Could that be it?
So here's my plan:
- Continue to drink lots of water
- Cut out processed meats and cheeses
- No more coffee
- Work on my posture ::sitting up straight::
- Stay in the A/C as much as possible :)
- Avoid people with strong perfume/cologne
- Avoid smoke (which I do already)
Hopefully my headaches will GO AWAY!!!
3 comments:
I can't believe allergies were not listed as a super common cause. Allergy headaches are super annoying, and totally seasonal. what kinds of weeds or grasses, flowers, or trees are bloomin in Houston? do you have an old bouquet of flowers in the house? just an idea.
I wouldn't be so quick to mark off the strong odors one. I know you have to be changing lots of diapers, and from my experience with kids, those stink BAD. Another strong odor could be your bed partner too, at camp I had to sleep next to that guy (in separate beds of course) so I know what he's capable of...
Could it be hormones? I am going on a 2 day headache myself. Grrrr
Post a Comment