Thursday, April 21, 2011

Happy 1 Month Birthday Charlie Mack

WOW! I can't believe Charlie Mack has been with us for a whole month now. I remember it going by fast with Jack, but it seems as if time is going by even faster now. PLEASE SLOW DOWN!!

It has been an eventful month with Charlie Mack. We had a hiccup with his eating, but all is well now. I really wanted to nurse with Charlie because I wasn't able to with Jack. Charlie and I started out strong. By his doctor appointment at 9 days old, he had already his weight back that he lost in the hospital PLUS some! He had no problem latching on (which was Jack's problem). Right after that, John and I noticed that he hadn't pooped in a couple of days. We read that it is normal for newborns to go 2-4 days without going. However, we could tell that Charlie was definitely in some pain and uncomfortable (entire body stiff, clenched fists, screaming, crying, etc.). To help out, I tried drinking prune juice, in hopes that it would help him out. After a day or so (right at 2 weeks), nothing happened. So then we decided that I should pump and mix prune juice in a bottle for him to drink. Here's where we found part of the problem... when I pumped, I hardly got any milk out. I went into PANIC mode!! We gave Charlie the milk/prune juice bottle and within 10 minutes we had a dirty diaper. After a diaper change, Charlie was extremely relaxed. He was the happiest we had seen him in about a week. The combination of constipation and not getting enough milk was causing him so much pain. From that day, I started pumping more to increase my milk supply. Thank the Lord for the technology we have today!

At one month old Charlie is:
  • Very alert- he will watch you as you walk by; watches the ceiling fans
  • Tolerates Jack and his kisses :)
  • Sleeping pretty good at night. He will sleep around 4-5 hours between feeds at night.
  • Doesn't nap as well during the day.
  • Loves his bouncer seat.
  • Loves his paci, but not when it falls out.
  • Cooing here and there.
  • Loves being outside (that's the best way to calm him if he is fussy- which he tends to get in the late afternoon/early evening- colic?)
  • Loves to be held
  • Seems bigger than Jack at one month.
  • Is getting used to baths. Wasn't a fan at first.
Charlie Mack at 1 month old


Sweet Charlie sleeping in his bouncer seat.
Jack and Charlie Mack hanging out together! Jack LOVES his brother!


Daddy was able to get a picture of me smiling. I love my Daddy!
One of Charlie's newborn pictures! Thank you Erin for taking some amazing pictures of our family! www.erinatmarphotography.com

No comments: